Eight Haikus written in Prague


Eight Haikus written in Prague
by Richard Metcalf and Hannah Tottenham

I.
We are in a Prague café
It is very nice
Soon we go into the cold

II.
We sit down and write postcards
They do not mean much
We are killing time inside

III. (The Museum of Communism)
Back in 1989
Communism went.
See it above McDonalds.

IV.
“It’s already five to six
Quick, write a haiku!”
You should put that in a play.

V.
Lots of exotic piercings
On the phalluses
The sex machine museum

VI.
Seems like a lot of effort
For erotica
Rather stay home with some tea

VII.
I’ll get frostbite in my neck
My head will fall off
Then Rich will leave me in Prague

VIII.
The astronomical clock
Is open too late –
We will climb it drunkenly

Comments

  1. It has been pointed out to me that these cannot be considered haiku, owing to the fact that the numbers of syllables in each line are 7, 5, 7 rather than 5, 7, 5. I would now go further and say that there is almost nothing in these compositions which in any way resembles haiku. Whether or not this prevents them from being enjoyed is left entirely up to the discerning reader.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts